One can't help but slow down in Charleston. Gracing the cobblestone streets are stately mansions, ancient trees draped with moss, and people who welcome you with a smile. Its history is one of the longest and most diverse in the country, and still, the Holy City surprises you with every visit. A seductive blend of old and new, it's no wonder that dear friends of ours chose Charleston for their honeymoon.
With only a few days in Charleston, our friends asked us how they should spend their time. Naturally, we jumped at the challenge. The Compass & Key itinerary for wandering Charleston is a full day packed with ideas to discover the architectural and natural beauty of the city, including tasty stops along the way. Our mini-guide also features curated destinations for lodging, dining and attractions. This is Southern charm at its best.
If you're on a mobile device, click here for the best viewing experience
CHECK FLIGHTS TO CHARLESTON
Two curated properties, ideally situated for experiencing the best of Charleston.
DINING & DRINKING
- Deli delights at Butcher & Bee
- DIY barbecue tasting at Home Team BBQ, Rodney Scott’s Bar-B-Que and Lewis Barbecue
- Fried chicken, champagne & oysters by the dozen at Leon’s Oyster Shop
- Live music and cozy seating at Elliotborough Mini Bar
- Asian soul food at Xiao Bao Biscuit
- Fresh bread and flaky croissants at Brown's Court Bakery
- House-made charcuterie and fresh seafood at The Grocery
- Considered by many to be the best restaurant in Charleston, The Ordinary
- Sophisticated cocktails in The Living Room, the lobby bar at The Dewberry
- Dinner at James Beard award-winning restaurant FIG
- Brunch in a church-turned-diner at 5Church Charleston
- Artisan iced coffee at Black Tap Coffee
- Cruise around town in a rented bike from the Bicycle Shoppe or Affordabikes
- Sample artisan-crafted spirits with a tour and tasting at High Wire Distilling
- Get lost in America's oldest landscaped gardens at historic plantation Middleton Place
- See Civil War burial sites among 92 acres at Magnolia Cemetery
- Tour local art galleries through Canvas Charleston
- Stand in awe of the USS Yorktown battleship
To take this itinerary on the road, download the Triposo app and click on the button below to save it to your free account. Make sure to download the guide to Charleston for offline use before you go.